Have you ever wanted to be popular?
Speaking course: What are you up to?
CEFR level: B1
Recommended time: 5 minutes
Being popular must be incredibly exciting: Many people are looking up to you, admiring you for your qualities, wanting to be like you. But then there are shady sides to it as well: Being far away from your family, having no privacy. What about you: Have you ever imagined being popular - and if so, what for?
- to be in the spotlight - to get everybody's attention
- to appeal to sb. - to be attractive to sb.
- to set a trend - to do something new that becomes popular then
- to be in demand - to be wanted by lots of people
- to be successful - to have a lot of fame
- to gather momentum - the ability to increase steadily
- the downside - the less positive aspects of something
- the bad side effects of... - the negative things that come along with...
- the impacts of success - the things that success forces upon you
- an illusion - a kind of dream world that is a false belief
- In order to be / become successful, you need to...
- How can you thrive on the idea of being... ?
- ... needs a lot of dedication.
- I would love / hate the feeling of being / doing / ...
- You might have to go through many trials and challenges, for example, ...
- The downside of all this success is that...
- You might set out on a lonely journey, because ... .
- After a while, you might only be surrounded by ...
- Money is not everything, however / on the contrary / nevertheless...
- The opportunities of life will pass you by if you...