Comprehension: The exposition of Gran Torino
Now, please watch the exposition of Gran Torino (0:00:00 – 00:17:19). Pay special attention to the following questions:
- What characters are introduced?
- What are possible sources of conflict?
Also, work together with a learning partner on the following questions. One of you works on task a, the other one on task b.
- What does Walt Kowalski’s family name suggest about his family’s origin?
- What do you find out about his family? How is his relationship with them?
- What is his religion and his attitude towards it?
- What do you find out about his past?
- How does he live? What is his neighbourhood like? What does he think about his neighbourhood?
- How would you describe Walt’s character?
- What does he value in life?
- What makes Walt struggle to belong?
- What is Thao’s family like? What is Thao’s role in the family?
- What does Thao’s family think of him?
- How would you describe Thao’s character?
- What is his relationship with his cousin and his gang? What is his attitude towards them?
- How does he experience his neighbourhood, especially Walt?
- What makes Thao struggle to belong?
Inform each other afterwards about your results.